Dr Hellme Najim, MB ChB DPM FRCPsych
Dr Hellme Najim, MB ChB DPM FRCPsych is a highly respected consultant psychiatrist with an excess of 40 years expertise in the field of psychiatry.
In his early life he excelled in academia - in particular science related subjects, placing within the top one percent of students within Northern Iraq.
After completing his undergraduate studies at the University of Mosul, he was immediately offered a job placement at the University’s Department of Medicine in which he completed his house training, senior house officer and registrar duties.
He was sent to the United Kingdom on a scholarship from the University of Mosul in 1981, working as a clinical assistant in psychiatry at the Maudsley and Bethlem Royal hospitals, where he would later take up a locum registrar position in forensic psychiatry.
Thereafter, he served as a locum senior registrar in Mental Handicap at Coldeast Hospital and then in 1986 joined the Liverpool registrar rotation - which involved work in General Psychiatry, Psychogeriatrics and Liaison Psychiatry as well as Forensic Psychiatry at Park Lane hospital.
In 1986, Dr Hellme Najim took up the position of lecturer and consultant in Neuropsychiatry at the Mosul College of Medicine where he would be promoted in 1989 to assistant professor and consultant psychiatrist until 1993 - a position he would thereafter assume at Sana’s University in the Republic of Yemen.
Dr Hellme Najim returned to the United Kingdom and served as a clinical lecturer in community psychiatry at the Department of Psychological Medicine in the Institute of Psychiatry and Maidstone Priority Care
Thereafter he served as a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Southend Community Care Trust until the year 2000. Following from which, he would assume the same position as Consultant Psychiatrist at the Thameside Community Care NHS Trust (Currently South Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust ) a position he held until his retirement from the NHS in 2017.
During this period - as a Consultant Psychiatrist with a special interest in Forensic Psychiatry - Dr Hellme Najim served as the lead Consultant for the Criminal Justice Community Mental Health Team from 2002 – 2014.
In 2010 Dr Hellme Najim was appointed by the Ministry of Justice as a Medical Member of the Mental Health Review Tribunal.
In addition to his esteemed career as a clinician, Dr Hellme Najim is an educator, author, appraiser and examiner who holds a number of prestigious positions in the field of psychiatry, which include:
1. Examiner for Parts I and II of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
2. I General Adult Psychiatry Representative of the Royal College of Psychiatrists for the purposes of Consultant Advisory Appointments Committee.
3. Reviewer for the BMJ (British Medical Journal), which includes reviewing scientific papers regarding suitability for publication.
4. Appointed as a member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Psychiatry. Published by the Royal college of Psychiatrists.
5. Elected as the Chair of The Transcultural Psychiatry Special Interest Group at The Royal College of Psychiatrists in July 2012.
6. Editorial Board member of Schizophrenia disorder and therapy.
8. Editorial Board member on Academician Research Centre(ARC) Psychiatry.
9. Invited to be an editorial board member of Heighpubs Depression and Anxiety .
10. Invited to be an editorial board member of SM Journal of Family Medicine (SMJFM)
11. Invited to be an editorial board member of EC Neurology.
12. Editorial board member of the Journal of Mental Health Care.
13. Editorial board member of Open Access Journal of Psychiatry and Addiction".